Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chinese Take Out (at Home!)

On a whim one day, I bought this Newman's Own teriyaki marinade. This sauce has been in the cupboard for like a month, so I figured we needed to crack it open and try our hand at some take-out in the comfort of our own kitchen. Probably not as tasty as from a traditional restaurant, but definitely healthier!

So I decided on marinating some chicken tenders in the teriyaki sauce, and to stir fry some veggies (snow peas, peppers, onions, mushrooms). Of course no Chinese meal would be complete without rice....so I had to try out a recipe I found online for a healthier version of fried rice.

Everything turned out really well! It was pouring down rain, so I used the grill pan to cook the chicken. It had been marinating for over an hour, so the meat had a chance to soak up some of the yumminess. While it was cooking, I stir fried the veggies (using a touch of mongolian fire oil, a dash of sesame oil and a minced garlic clove for flavor).


Here's how I made the fried rice...

Cooking spray
2 C cooked brown rice
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 C chopped carrot
1/2 C peas (I used frozen)
1/2 C chopped onion
1-2 T soy sauce

Heat a wok over med-high heat. Coat very well with cooking spray, add egg. Scramble egg, remove and keep warm. Wipe out wok, and put back on burner. Add 1 tsp sesame oil and heat. Add vegetables and stir fry until crisp tender. Remove and keep warm. Spray wok if necessary and add remaining sesame oil. Let it heat up and add the rice. Stir frying until it's heated thru, keep stiring to break up any clumped up rice. Add back in eggs, veggies, and add soy sauce and stir until combined Season to taste with salt, pepper, etc.

No comments: