Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Seafood Enchiladas

A bit of an experiment. I am still undecided if it was successful or not. Norm had been wanting to make seafood enchiladas for ever. We've actually had it on a weekend menu a few times, but for some reason (like Steeler post-game tailgating) or another (take out sounded much better than cooking) it never happened.

So I searched for a good recipe to try...and found this one on allrecipes.com. It came highly rated, and I took some of the suggestions by the reviewers to double the sauce, and to spice it up. The sauce tasted great before I assembled the enchiladas and baked them. But it curdled during cooking. Still tasted good, but definitely wasn't the prettiest thing to eat. I'll have to do some doctoring to this the next time I try it!

I served it with some fat-free refried black beans, a side of my own made-up recipe for "spanish rice" - brown rice, cooked in chicken broth with some salsa, chili powder, cumin, and garlic. And topped the enchiladas with chopped tomato, avocado, and black olives.

Seafood Enchiladas
(Source: allrecipes.com)
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound fresh crabmeat
1/4 pound shrimp - peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
8 ounces Colby cheese (I had red. fat shredded mexican blend on hand)
6 (10 inch) flour tortillas (I ended up with 7 6" whole wheat tortillas)
1 cup half-and-half cream (I used fat free)
1/2 cup sour cream (i used fat free)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt


As per the suggestions of other reviewers, I also added 1 can diced mild green chiles, 1 tsp of chili powder, 1 tsp of cumin and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper to the sauce).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large skillet, saute onions in 1 tablespoon butter until transparent. Remove the skillet from heat and stir in crabmeat and shrimp. Shred the cheese and mix half of it into the seafood. Place a large spoonful of the mixture into each tortilla. Roll the tortillas up around the mixture and arrange the rolled tortillas in a 9x13 inch baking dish.

In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine half-and-half, sour cream, 1/4 cup butter, parsley and garlic salt. Stir until the mixture is lukewarm and blended. Pour sauce over the enchiladas, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

No comments: