Sunday, March 15, 2009

Slow Cooker BBQ Pork Sammiches

The house smells so friggin' good right now...I have had a pork tenderloin cooking away in the crock pot all day. I am hungry for BBQ pork sandwiches - and have no idea why. They aren't something that I seek out to eat, but oh well! It gave me a chance to bust out the seldom-used crock pot.

I found a recipe on allrecipes.com that looked interesting - the pork gets cooked in a mix of coffee, whiskey, broth, worchestershire sauce and garlic, then gets drained, shredded, sauced and cooked come more. We're going to have the sandwiches on whole wheat rolls with fries (sweet potato for me, regular fries for Norm) and a salad.

Here's the recipe. I halved it for the two of us...and we'll still probably have enough for another meal. I have a feeling this will be revisited for tailgating when football season starts!

Slow Cooker Barbequed Pork for Sandwiches
(Source: allrecipes.com)

2 1/2 pounds boneless pork roast
salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 cups strong brewed coffee
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
10 cloves garlic (i just used about 2 tsp of miced garlic since that's what I had)
3 cups beef broth
1 cup water
1 small onion, diced
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
2 (12 ounce) bottles barbeque sauce (I used about a 1/2 a bottle)


Season the roast with salt and pepper. Place the seasoned roast, coffee, Worcestershire sauce, bourbon whiskey, garlic, beef broth, water, onion, and red pepper flakes in a slow cooker set to LOW. Cook 3 to 4 hours. Scoop garlic cloves out of the cooker and mash with a fork; return the mashed garlic to the slow cooker. Cook another 3 to 4 hours. (*** note, since I used minced garlic I didn't have to do this...I just let it cook for about 7 hours or so)

Transfer roast to a large cutting board, and discard liquid. Shred the roast into strands using two forks, and return meat to the slow cooker. Stir in the barbeque sauce, and continue cooking on LOW for 1 to 3 hours.

No comments: