Friday, March 6, 2009

Creamy Shrimp Pasta

I found this recipe on the McCormick Web site...the original calls for chicken. I thought it would be great with shrimp as well, so that's what I made it with. It was good...not great...but tasty enough. It definitely needs some more flavor. Maybe next time I'll doctor it up a bit and add some minced garlic, maybe some freshmore parmesan, etc.

I also added some more veggies. I had a plethora of fresh veggies in the fridge, so I thought I'd add some color to the mix - even if you can't see it in the picture! I sauteed some mini bell peppers, a handfull of chopped mushrooms and some onion and seasoned them with some salt, pepper and a dash of white balsamic vinegar, and added to the pasta before I put the sauce on it. Oh, and I added a wedge of garlic and herb light laughing cow cheese, jus for kicks.

Creamy Chicken Penne
(Source: McCormick Web Site)
8 ounces uncooked multigrain penne pasta
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen small broccoli florets
1 cup fat free half-and-half
4 ounces Neufchâtel cheese (1/3 less fat than cream cheese), cubed
1 teaspoon
McCormick® Oregano Leaves
1 teaspoon
McCormick® Rosemary Leaves, finely crushed
1 teaspoon
McCormick® Thyme Leaves
1/2 teaspoon
McCormick® Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt from
McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (I used about 1/2 lb of cooked shrimp)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese

Cook pasta in large saucepan as directed on package, adding broccoli during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain well.
Meanwhile, bring half-and-half to simmer in small saucepan on medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cream cheese, oregano, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder and sea salt; whisk until cheese is melted and sauce is well blended. Add chicken; simmer until heated through.
Place pasta and broccoli in large serving bowl. Spoon sauce evenly over pasta mixture. Toss gently to coat well. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.

No comments: