Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Beef Stroganoff

Every once in a while, I get a craving for beef stroganoff. I have tried quite a few different recipes, looking for the perfect one. I came across a post on chowhound.com on how to make it tasty every time.

It's so easy it's a crime - although I did modify slightly to reduce the amount of oil used. And I don't use sliced beef sirloin or tenderloin. I grew up on ground beef stroganoff, so that's how I make it now...maybe some day I'll try it with thinly sliced beef, but this is so good, I can't imagine that that day will come any time soon! We have this served over whole wheat egg noodles and salad on the side.

Beef Stroganoff
(Source: chowhound.com)

1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
1 T olive oil (I used a mushroom infused oil)
1/2 an medium onion, sliced
1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
1/4 C sherry (or other liquid)
1/4 C beef broth
1/2 C reduced fat sour cream (or more if it needs it)
a dash of worchestershire sauce
salt, pepper, garlic

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Season meat with salt, pepper & garlic to taste. Add to pan, and brown. Empty meat onto plate. Add 1T olive oil, add onions 1st, then mushrooms. Season with salt & pepper, saute till almost done, empty on plate. Deglaze pan with sherry, cognac, brandy, red wine, some kind of liquor. Ignite or let alcohol burn off, add beef broth and worchestershire sauce, and simmer a couple of minutes. Add meat & veggies back to pan on low heat to warm. Add sour cream, DO NOT BOIL, stir well, just enough to meld and warm up. To avoid curdling, sour cream should be room temperature. Serve over rice or noodles.

No comments: