Monday, February 4, 2008

Spicy Chickpea Curry

I love the nights that Norm is at his dart league, which means I get the kitchen to myself, and get to make whatever my little heart desires....which revolves around everything that Norm won't eat willingly. Like tofu...or sweet potatoes...or things like my vegetarian curries that I'm so fond of. I tease him that being half-Indian, he thinks an Italian girl from J-town can't do it justice. He won't even sample it just to humor me. Little does he know what he's missing!!!

We had a little leftover brown basmati rice that I tossed with a little lemon jucie and cilantro. Yummy!

Chickpea Curry
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add onion and pepper, cook under just tender. Add garlic, coriander, cumin, garam masala, tumeric, salt and pepper. Cook until fragrent (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Add chickpeas and tomatoes, stir to combine. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Sprikle with cilatro before serving.

No comments: