Thursday, November 15, 2007

S'more Brownies

Ok so I found this on allrecipes.com. It looked yummy, it sounded yummy....and the end result was yummy but not without making a few um...emergency tweaks. I read the reviews and took some of the suggestions given. And that's where things went awry.

One reviewer suggest to cover the dish with foil when you add the smores topping so it doesn't brown too much. I did that, and when I pulled the dish out of the oven, the marshmallows had completely melted into the brownies. It looked like I had a mess on my hands. I thought for a second and figured I'll add more marshmallows, put it back in the over and let them get puffy. If it sucks, well...I will just pitch them and nobody will be any wiser. It was pretty, even it it was difficult to cut. I would suggest putting the marshmallows on at the very end to avoid a melt-y mess.

I was going to classify this as low-fat, since I used applesauce and egg beaters in the brownie mix...but I figured with all the chocolate on top and the sugar from the marshmallows, maybe that wasn't such a good idea. = )

S'more Brownies
(Source: allrecipes.com)
1 (21.5 ounce) package brownie mix
6 graham crackers (I used low fat)
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
8 (1.5 ounce) bars milk chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used semi-sweet chunks)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare brownie mix according to package directions. Spread into a greased 9x13 inch pan.

In a medium bowl, break graham crackers into 1 inch pieces and toss with miniature marshmallows and milk chocolate. Set s'more mixture aside.

Bake brownies for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove, and sprinkle the s'more goodies evenly over the top. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow brownies to cool before cutting into squares.


No comments: