Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Day Breakfast

A recipe for crepes randomly appeared in my Google reader a week or so ago, so I got the idea stuck in my head that it would be a great Valentine's Day breakfast for us. I had the vision in my head of getting up early today, whipping up a fresh batch of healthy (ie whole wheat) crepes stuffed with a sweetened cottage cheese filling, and a lovely blackberry sauce, with some expertly dipped chocolate covered strawberries. One problem. I have never made either in my life. And it probably wasn't a good idea to try to perfect the art of crepe-making at 8AM on a Saturday morning!

I ended up taking the safe route, I actually found ready-made crepes in the grocery store. Perfect...lazy, but perfect. One step down.

I whipped up a filling using:
cottage cheese - about 1/2 C
cream cheese - maybe 1/4 C
A dash of lemon juice
sugar - 2-3T
A little vanilla and almond extracts

Using 4 of the lazy crepes, I spooned a 1/4 of the filling into each and wrapped them up burrito-style and put them seam side down into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Then I spritzed the top with a little butter spray for some flavor. Baked for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.

Now the strawberries. That was actually kinda easy. I melted about 1/4 C of mini chocolate chips, a dash of canola oil and a dash of almond extract. I was just enough to coat 4 strawberries.

I plated the crepes, topped with some sliced strawberries (tossed in a little sugar) and some fresh blackberries. Sprinkled on a little powdered sugar...and added the chocolate covered strawberries on the side and Viola! A yummy breakfast.

No comments: