Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thai Red Shrimp Curry

Sticking to this South Beach Diet thing has been easier than I thought! Besides a few indulgences on the weekends, we have been following it pretty closely. It's giving us a chance to try a lot of different things and come up with tasty, healthy and satisfying meals.

We both love spicy food...the hotter the better! I came across this on allrecipes.com as I was trying to find something "thai" to satisfy a craving I had. I took a lot of the suggestions left by recipe reviewers, including upping the red curry paste, and I subbed in shrimp for the chicken. Whew! This was one hot dish. We both sat here eating this with flushed faces and with lots of water.

Thai Red Shrimp Curry
Serves 4

2 teaspoons olive oil (used 1 tsp mongolian stir fry oil, and 1 tsp sesame)
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips (used frozen, cooked shrimp instead)

1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (doubled)
1 cup sliced halved zucchini - didn't have any so I omitted it
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1 onion, quartered then halved

1 jalapeno, minced (not in original recipe)
Juice of one lime (not in original recipe)
1 tablespoon cornstarch (omitted)

1/2 t ground coriander (not in original recipe)
2 T fish sauce (not in original recipe)
1 garlic clove, minced (not in original recipe)
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp pieces; cook and stir for about 1 minute. Remove shrimp from skillet and cover to keep warm. Mix in the garlic, curry paste, bell pepper, carrot and onion, jalapeno, coriander, fish sauce. Cook and stir for a few minutes.

Stir in the coconut milk, then pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat. Since I didn't add cornstarch, I let it simmer until it was slightly reduced. Add shrimp in, and heat thru. Right before serving, stir in the cilantro.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Yum, I LOVE Thai curries. Now I want Thai food! :)