Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Twist on Eggs Benedict

For the life of me I can't remember where I found this recipe, but it was darn tasty! I think it was an Ellie Kreiger recipe from the Food Network, but I saw it on a cooking blog .... printed it out, but forgot to star it on my Google Reader. I am far too lazy to do a search tonight...so we'll leave it at that = )

We had this dish for a light dinner one Sunday night. We had gone to Norm's parents for lunch - Norm's Dad made me a special dinner for my birthday (pork dhansak with brown basmati rice...and rava for dessert...YUMMY!) So after all that food during the day, a lighter fare was much appreciated. I did change the original recipe and poached the eggs instead of scrambling them. We served it up with some cut fruit on the side, and it hit the spot!


Pesto Eggs Benedict
(Source: Ellie Kreiger, Food Network -adapted)

Cooking spray
4 portobella mushroom caps
4 slices Canadian Bacon
4 eggs (I used eggland's best)
2 tsp pesto, divided
2 T chopped fresh basil leaves
Here's what I did...

Fill multi-pan up with water, add egg poacher insert and heat until water comes to a boil. Heat grill pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Clean mushrooms and scrape gills out carefully with a spoon. Spray pan with cooking spray, put mushrooms on, gill side up and cook for 3 minutes. Add eggs to egg poacher, season with salt & pepper. Flip mushrooms, cook on other side. Add canadian bacon to grill pan. When eggs are done, take mushrooms out of gril pan and put onto plate...gill side up, top with canadian bacon and 1/2 tsp pesto. Add poached egg and top with 1/2 tsp pesto and basil.

No comments: